Skip to main content

Biddeford, Maine, church records

 Collection
Identifier: Coll. 947

Scope and Content note

Four original record books: 1. Assessors book for the First Parish in Biddeford, 1798-1821; 2. Record of First Congregational Church in Biddeford, 1825-1872; 3. Record of the First Church of Christ in Biddeford, 1742-1781; and 4. Record of the Proprietors of the First Parish Meetinghouse in Biddeford, 1839-1887.

Dates

  • Creation: 1742 - 1887

Creator

Access

Unrestricted

Copyright

Access to collections at Maine Historical Society is not an authorization to publish. Rights and reproduction requests may be submitted in writing to the MHS Image Services Coordinator or Research & Administrative Librarian, subject to format.

Administrative note

The First Parish Meetinghouse was built in 1759 and its location on Pool Road was the cause of the separation of Biddeford and Saco. It was a center of political and religious life in Biddeford from 1759 to the 1830s. Remodeled and rededicated September 2, 1840 it is the oldest public building in Biddeford.

The First Church in Biddeford was the predecessor of the First Parish Congregational Church in Saco and the Biddeford Church of Christ, both of which continue to serve their communities today.

Extent

7 Volumes

Language of Materials

English

Provenance

Unknown

Title
Guide to the Biddeford, Maine, church records
Status
Completed
Author
Donna Knoblock, Library Volunteer, March 2025
Date
April 2025
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Maine Historical Society Repository